Sunday, December 7, 2008

it's the little things...

Well, 18 miles down today! I have been nervous for a few days as to whether or not I was going to do this run. I woke up and was told it was raining and miserable. Then I thought back to a conversation I had with Ritchie about the ice- ICE BUGS!!! I have been in pain from slipping in the soft snow but Ice- ICE!!! YEAH, my prayers were answered. So, after a breakfast of toast with my brother and sister-in-law at Ihop :) I dusted off my rain coat, found my camelback, and drove out to my other sister-in-law's house to trek a new route in Anchorage. Thanks JC for the advice, nice and flat....
I got quite a few crazy looks from passer bys today as I slogged through the rain and fog. I was also on high alert, listening for cars that might be sliding in the ditch towards me. All was well, I actually wound up getting near Little Campbell lake and guessed that was probably half way. Oh, in the distraction this a.m. I forgot my watch so I just went by time... Thank goodness for my iphone!
In all my crazy travels, I am learning quite a bit. I have learned that just when I think I cannot go on something happens to make it right. I run into a new person that greets me on my path, I get a honk from a familiar friend, etc. Anyway you put it, this training has been fun in a lot of ways.... I realize that last week was a tough one for me and I was a bit inconsistent. In my inconsistency, I realized I missed the run! Maybe it isn't too late for me to become a "runner" :)

So, the message I am passing on to you~ when you are on your path, look up and smile at the person traveling in the opposite direction, say hello! You never know, it might be me needing a boost to keep on keepin' on!

1 comment:

Tom Ritchie said...

Nice job on the 18 miler today. I'm glad the ice bugs are working out for you. They are almost a must in Anchorage. Keep up the good work. See ya at work.